Friday, 22 October 2010

Breastfeeding as I know it


TOP TEN TIPS FOR BREASTFEEDING YOUR BABY

Always remember that as each baby is different and unique and each baby is going to breastfeed differently. I say this because it may come as a shock for a lot of mums who are looking forward to breastfeeding their second baby or even their third. I had such a difficult time getting my first to latch on, my second latched on right away but would suckle very strongly for an hour at a time and the first month was quite painful for me, my third took a little work at the start but she feeds for short periods of time and often but not so strongly as my second. Essentially each experience has been totally different so expect surprises!

1. Try different nursing positions, different babies are comfortable different ways and you may find what worked well for your first doesn’t work so well for your second. This is particularly necessary when your baby is having difficulty latching on.
2. Often one breast nurses comfortably and the second is more difficult depending on how the nipple sits on the breast or when it is over full, again try changing positions or adding or removing a nursing pillow. I have always found that if all else fails lie down to nurse and all of my babies took well to this.
3. If you want to sleep more at night and you can provide a safe environment for your baby co-sleeping is a fabulous way to nurse at night. I have done this with two of my kids and found they cried less and slept better.
4. Ignore anyone who says not to let your baby use you as a dummy, your baby will use you as a dummy and it is part and parcel of comforting and bonding with your baby. If you manage to nurse your kids into the time when they are sitting up and crawling then you will notice they get an awful lot of comfort from nursing when they get a bonk or are upset by something.
5. It’s ok to be shy about nursing your baby. Often the media will tell mums that they should be comfortable nursing anywhere and in a perfect world that is true but more often it can be intimidating for a woman to nurse in public. Some women will be bold as brass right from the start and good for you! For the rest of you, take your time, practice in private until you feel you can get the baby latched on without much fuss. Find clothing that works for you too based on the position you nurse in, some people find putting a blanket over their shoulder works for them although I never like to cover the baby’s face. I have found that wearing two shirts works best as I can lift the top one and pull down the second to feed and people around me will see very little. There are also lots of variations on nursing tops being sold today so have a look around. I have actually managed to surprise people I am sitting next to as they didn’t realize I was nursing! For me time really has made me more comfortable with nursing in public and it is very freeing to know I no longer have to worry about where we are going and if there is going to be a secluded spot for me.
6. Don’t worry if you get mastitis it does not mean you are doing something wrong or that you are a failure, sometimes very experienced breastfeeding mums have this problem including me!
7. Always keep in mind that how often and how much your baby nurses is not constant. Just because they have a big feed every night right before bed for the first three months does not mean that it will always be this way. Often it is difficult to continue with breastfeeding after food is introduced to your baby or as they become more interested in things going on around them but persevere and remember that even a little bit of nursing is better for them than no nursing.
8. Breast pads are essential; breasts will most likely stop leaking once a routine is established but often when feeding off one breast the other will leak so it is really important to have them. Test different brands as I have discovered that when you’re newly feeding and your nipples are sore some brands will stick to you and it is very painful to remove! I have found that the Mothercare brand does not do this so I use them pretty faithfully.
9. When having problems with cracking or painful nipples try lanoline crème, there is a specially formulated lanoline for breastfeeding mothers that is so pure that you do not have to wipe it off when nursing your baby and it is great stuff. It works by keeping the skin constantly moisturized and it works miracles for sore nipples and did wonders for me when I was nursing my second child.
10. My final piece of advice is to trust your baby to know when they are hungry or need some comfort and enjoy your time together. It may seem like this time will last forever but it really doesn’t and you will have memories to treasure for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment